KSTP-TV, News Channel 5 is the award-winning ABC network affiliate for the Twin Cities. Part of Hubbard Broadcasting, KSTP-TV is a longtime market leader, and is committed to excellence in all that it does-broadcast news with hyper-local coverage, important public service that deals powerfully with today’s issues, and now, more than ever, top-notch digital content, to reach our viewers and followers with information the way they want to receive it. When you work for KSTP, or our other local, independently operated station KSTC, Channel 45, you will find yourself among dedicated, passionate people who work hard every day to improve our product and our community. If you have the qualifications, and you are a person of talent and integrity, we invite you to apply!
This position is responsible for all of the studio production elements as well as the operation of studio cameras and production equipment for live and recorded television newscasts and shows.
- Partner with peers, on-air talent, producers, directors, managers, and members of the public to help ensure a professional TV newscast/show is produced.
- Operate and move TV cameras (studio and remote), teleprompter.
- Floor direct for live and pre-recorded productions following scripts, verbal commands and non-verbal cues. Communicate clearly and quickly using verbal and non-verbal cues to talent. Assist talent as directed by supervisor. Aid in the preparation of scripts and materials for productions. Set-up props, furniture and other items including building, lifting, arranging, lighting and cabling needed for production. Tear down, clean, and removal of same. Communicate supply and material needs. Maintain studio by cleaning, vacuuming, floor buffing, storage, maintenance, and organizing equipment and set materials.
- Respond and work well in a crisis and during breaking news. Handle last minute and unexpected changes. Communicate quickly and clearly to others.
- Report to work on time and work established schedule/hours. Ability to work other hours or alternate schedules as needed.
- May travel and work on location but only on a very limited basis and in special circumstances.
- Complete other duties as requested and needed.
- High school diploma, on-the-job experience or 4 year degree in Communications. Prior television production experience helpful.
- Must have knowledge of broadcast production equipment, techniques and language or be able to learn. A
- bility to work well with people while handling stressful situations. Ability to work effectively in a high intensity environment.
- Computer experience needed.
- Must be able to work various hours including nights, weekends, and holidays. Schedules may vary.
- Project an appropriate professional appearance and demeanor.
- Ability to work in compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Physical Requirements Ability to communicate in English, both verbally and in writing. Work with time sensitive information under tight deadlines and in pressure situations. Manual dexterity and fine motor skills to manipulate computer keys, cameras, teleprompter and board controls as well as general office equipment (telephone, copier, etc.) for extended periods of time. Wear headset during course of work. Ability to read, hear and speak clearly and follow both oral and written direction. Ability to think critically and quickly and to articulate information in clear, concise manner to others. Sit and/or stand for extended periods of time. Above average pushing and pulling, bending and stooping. Climbs ladders. Lift up to 20 lbs. alone. The Company may make reasonable accommodations to facilitate the ability to perform essential job functions.